Season 5 Casting
I had low expectations about the casting to begin with but I did not expect this much fuckery.
Why this show continually dismisses and erases Dorne’s female rulers is beyond me. Not only is it offensive but its dumb as hell. Dorne is such as interesting region for most fans because of how much it diverges from the Westerosi patriarchal structure. However, D&D interpreted that as an opportunity for more boob screen time whilst ignoring its rich feminism, the welcome break it provides from the cliched white male dominated medieval monarchies.
We can safely assume that Arianne Martell is lost to us (not that D&Ds interpretation of her would’ve done her any justice) or that she has been cast off to the sidelines. Seeing as Trystane’s character description reads:
Toby Sebastian as Trystane Martell: Trystane Martell is Prince Doran’s son and heir to Dorne. His father betrothed him to Myrcella Baratheon as part of the alliance offered by Tywin Lannister, then Hand of the King.
The most disheartening part of losing Arianne is that this is not a choice made because her story is extraneous or because of her character being dull (she would’ve easily captured the audiences attention) she is pivotal to the Dorne and Weseros plot-line. She has her own POV, even Robb didn’t get that. Sadly this is a trend, remember the last incident where a WOC was in power in Dorne? Or the fact that Catelyn Stark was ignored in favour of Robb Stark although it is through her POV that we see some of the most important events in the book series.This is deliberate aggression on female agency.
I thought maybe they wanted to use Trystane instead in order to give audiences a romance-based plot with Myrcella (which is dull and lazy writing). But wasn’t Arianne’s storyline with Oakheart engaging, tragic, complex and above all worth-watching?
There is no plausible reason for erasing Arianne.
It simply goes to show that Game of Thrones the show and ASOIAF are two completely different stories. Whilst one transcends the usual expectations of the fantasy genre and gives people who were previously muted a booming voice the other falls back on lazy tropes that are not only worn out and unimaginative but they carry the dangerous legacy of dismissing any voice that is not white, straight and male as not worth hearing.
It’s always infuriating trying to guess what people’s intentions are, but if this rewrite is true, and this pivotal character is truly missing from the show, then I think I just fell a little bit out of love with the show :(
This is well overdue haha, but I was tagged by photolodico :)
1. If you had this tumblr in highschool what sort of reblogs would we see all the time? What would you write about?
I’ve had this tumblr since 2010, when I was a sophomore in high school, so unfortunately a lot of my childish tendencies are documented on the Web :\ haha. A quick glance of my archive: a ton of Gaga, art, and bit about the news, rants, whining, and humour posts that no longer humour me haha. The past is a humbling reminder to say the least.
2. Who is the most influential person in your life that you know but not very well. Someone who dropped in for a moment but you remember it vividly and it changed the way you see.
Hmmm… I’d like to think if this person was truly influential I wouldn’t have to contemplate this for so long haha… but I’m going to have to go ahead and say it’s one of my sister’s friends. Her visit was recent so remembering it vividly isn’t a question (while my memory still serves me somewhat well haha), but she was just a really open minded person and shared a lot of her experiences with us; she’s also incredibly smart (she got into Harvard with a full-paid scholarship) and was just a bit weird, with an appreciation for art (we looked through Mario Testino’s Private View together). I wouldn’t say she changed the way I see per se, but I would say by being around her I realized the kind of people I want to surround myself with in the future. (Oh, when I was a lot younger she came over to our house once. I farted really loud and said oops nonchalantly. We laughed. That was a great memory.)
3. What’s your second favorite color and why?
I’d have to say pink, right after blue being the first since I was very little. I think it’s my second probably just because it’s a warm companion to the coolness of blue haha.
4. If you could design your own concert with 2-8 of your favorite bands/singers who would they be?
This such a lame answer but I honestly don’t need anyone other than Gaga. Ideally I want a concert that’s full of adrenaline and that’s what her music is (especially ARTPOP). Nothing quite rolls off my tongue like lyrics such as “DON’T YOU KNOW MY ASS IS FAMOUS?”, and “LOOKIN’ SERIAL KILLER MAN IS A GONER”
5. Have you had Pho? Do you like it? Can you get it where you live?
Pho is good and there’s one in a plaza a few blocks away, but the really good ones are in another city that’s only a drive away haha. But you know what I’ve recently become obsessed with? VIET ICED COFFEE.
6. If you had to paint your bedroom and bright non-neutral color, what would you choose?
Any shade of blue.
7. If you could only shop at three stores for the rest of your life (and you can still order from Amazon or whatever you want online) what three and why?
Club Monaco for clothes, Costco for home supplies and groceries (actually Costco covers a lot of different needs haha so I’m probably cheating but whatever), and um… hmm if Amazon is still open for business I don’t even think I need three stores haha.
8. What was your favorite class in college or highschool that was not in your major/concentration?
Would definitely have to be the History of Sexual Diversity course that I took. It was a second year course but I managed to do all of the readings and the essays, all of which were extremely insightful.
9. If you had to spend a day with one of the cast of Friends, who and why?
Chandler Bing. Not sure I can elaborate, but his humour sort of matches mine? Subtle, and sometimes just a bunch of mumbling :\ haha
10. What’s the worst thing you’ve ever tasted?
No comment. Haha just kidding it doesn’t taste that bad.
I would have to say I can never will myself to swallow durian fruit.
11. What is your primary sleeping position?
On my side, with an arm outstretched and maybe my legs curled up.
Okay so I’m not sure who to tag but here’s a few questions for anyone who wants to answer them :P
1. What would be the track that closes out the film about your life (your hypothetical film can be any genre—a documentary, a romantic comedy, a thriller—and can begin and end at any time in your life)?
2. What is one interview you watch over and over again?
3. How do you remind yourself to be kind?
4. If you could only hear one voice the rest of your life, who’s would it be?
Aaaand I ran out of questions :\